Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Pumpkin Capital of the World

Morton, Illinois hosts the Libby Plant that processes pumpkins.  The plant produces pumpkin for 80% of the world's consumption! 

In past years as we rolled through the county, we were astounded at the pumpkins sitting in the fields.  Seas of yellowish orange pumpkins!  So this year I decided it was time to do something about it.  While I was in the hospital in Peoria, I chatted with a nurse who gave us tips on where to eat and what to see.  The Morton Pumpkin Festival was high on her list.  As well it should have been.  The festivities actually last a full week and include of course; pumpkin decorating, cooking, baking, brewing, chucking, parades, art exhibits, largest pumpkin, crafts, souvenirs (I WILL get a pin!), and an array of other items on the agenda. 

I took the truck over on a little sightseeing trip, found the Libby Plant (you'd have to be a moron to miss it), and parked in the employees parking lot!!!  I strolled around with my camera and took a couple of pictures of trucks unloading their pumpkins into a huge holding tank.  I probably could have asked for a tour and gotten it, the people were so friendly.




Somehow the fields seemed to pop up with pumpkins for as far as your eye could see!  You don't notice the vines but suddenly the vines dry up and lo and behold pumpksins appear!  Unbelievable amounts!




The Highlights of the Festival are underway now, and from a couple of photos, it will be fun.  I have to have a piece of pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pancakes and a swig of pumpkin beer!




No comments: