Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Are We There Yet?

Here we go again.  Let's head East on Highway 2 and let the angels guide our way.  Why not, seems just as reasonable as anything else we had done on this trek eastwardly!  Some decisions were really going to have to be made because Highway 2 was going to fade from sight.  Next big city,  Eau Claire, WI.  I always loved to say that city's name, just rolls right off your tongue, doesn't it?  Finally the captain to the navigator:  how far is Eau Claire to Huntley?  I whipped into action, bringing up my handy dandy software, Streets and Trips.  It measured the distance, gave the driving time, the cost of the diesel, and spat out all the answers.  Doesn't sound right, said the captain to the navigator.  Rats!  I compared Streets and Trips to Google Maps and Mapquest. Mapquest had the other two beaten by 10 miles.  Go with it.  Now, find a campground.  I dove back into the electronic wonders of Woodalls, Google, and Mapquest and came up with many campgrounds in the vicinity of Eau Claire.  The chosen one was on our southerly leg to Huntley, and sounded good.  I called them and was assured we would have a site.  Prices stated were $28-39 a nite.  Well, we saved by staying in the National Forest, so split the difference and it didn't sound so bad. 

I was granted a stroke of luck when all three software sites had the same directions to the campground!  Imagine that.  The Campground was all we had hoped for and much, much more - and so was the price.  But, all in all, it WAS an RV RESORT:  pool, golf, laundry - lots of stuff.  For the price of a car payment we were directed to a large pull through, with water!  electricity!  sewage!!! and cable TV, eh. 

The dogs were so happy.  Not with the campground, per se, but with the fact that they could FINALLY GET OUT OF THE TRUCK!  It was laundry night, and that always means doggie bath night.  I just hate getting into a nice clean smelling bed with nice clean sheets and THREE DIRTY, SMELLY DOGS.  The great dog roundup began.  As soon as I started pulling off collars and harnesses they smelled a trap.  It's just amazing to me how they can find spaces to hide in.  Well, the two Yorkies do, Maggie just takes it. 

She didn't do too well in the shower because she was wobbly.  Very unsteady.  She wouldn't eat her supper either, so I guess it's post haste to the next vet.  But, they all smell really good and clean. 

Unfortunately, getting all that work done doesn't leave time for Barry and Me to shower, so the dogs will have to put up with us for a change!  It's so past my bedtime.  I'll probably wonder what space ship I was on when I read this tomorrow.  That's another day and another issue.

from the MABarry - over and out.

No comments: